Thursday, December 14, 2006

V for Vina


Vibrant. Versatile. Vivacious. This fitness buff tells us why she can’t live without exercise—and it’s not about vanity at all. By GD

Vina Morales is the epitome of both a healthy career and a healthy body. She's a singer, TV host, product endorser and entrepreneur (her family businesses include apartments and a chain of Ystilo salons).

The concert shuffle
Recently, Vina has focused more on preparing for her concert performances. This year she is booked for shows here and in the United States. It was the same last year: "I went abroad four times for concerts. I was able to go to the Middle East. I love traveling!" she says.

Vina's concerts usually run for almost two hours. She sings about 18 songs, five of them medleys. She says, "Punung-puno na 'yon! (That is already packed [with songs])" Her repertoire is made up of mostly hip-hop tunes, her trademark lately.

She not only sings, but also dances to these fast songs. Knowing that this is her edge over other singers, she constantly works on this strength. "It's really a gift na puwede kong maisabay ang pagsayaw at pagkanta (that I could do both dancing and singing at the same time). But at the same time, nakakahingal (it makes me pant)! I have to think of both the steps and the lyrics, and I have to make it all look effort-less. It's a great effort on the part of the performer but I have to make it look easy. Doing a concert is very tiring," she reveals.

Concerts abroad are more challenging, entailing other activities like autograph-signing and picture-taking sessions with the fans. "Matiyaga ako sa ganon (I am patient with those things)," says Vina. "Kahit nakakapagod ang trabaho, nakakawala naman ng pagod 'pag positive ang response ng mga tao. (Even if the work is tiring, the positive response of the people take away the tiredness.)"

Vina also needs to contend with jam-packed schedules. After performing in one city, she often has to quickly fly to another venue miles away. "Talagang sasakit ang katawan ko (My body will really ache) if I don't have the stamina ... I won't be able to complete my concert tour."

The workout payoff
Here is where Vina has learned the importance of being physically fit. Her fabulous abs are not the only payoff for her dedication to working out. More than the toned body and the beautiful figure, Vina has learned that exercising gives her the strength and endurance to sing and dance at her concerts. She explains, "Exercising gives my body resistance kasi 'pag wala akong resistance, halfway pa lang through my concerts, I get tired na. (Exercising gives my body resistance because if I don't have resistance, halfway through my concerts, I get tired already.)"

Vina's current workout plan includes cardio, stretching and dance classes. "I work out every day for about one hour and a half," she volunteers.


Dancing is definitely part of her workout as it keeps her fit and gives her the chance to learn new steps for her production numbers. Vina takes hip-hop lessons from her choreographer Joercelle, who also choreographs for her Sunday variety show, A.S.A.P. This avid dancer has taken up ballroom dancing and wants to take up jazz next. "I like dancing because it boosts my confidence. Others should try it too!" says Vina.

Variety is key
Committing to a workout is challenging. Those who resolve to exercise usually become lazy or unmotivated after some time. Vina suggests that one way to stick to an exercise plan is to have variety. This singer has taken up several sports and athletic activities such as running, tennis and badminton.

No comments: