Thursday, December 14, 2006

Pia Guanio-TV's Golden Girl



This TV celebrity is everywhere. Lucky for us, we were able to pin her down long enough to find out what makes her tick. By Mitzi Duque-Ruiz

She's all bubbly and sunshiny on-cam, we wondered when we went to her cover shoot if that was also her temperament in person. It's great to know that off-cam, Pia Guanio is just as cheerful---and every inch a professional, too!

It seems "burnout" is not in her vocabulary, despite her hectic schedule. Today, she co-hosts three shows a week: Eat Bulaga, the showbiz segment of 24 Oras, and S-Files.

On the contrary, Pia appears even prettier, slimmer and sexier every time she makes a media appearance. She explains, "I've always wanted to be in media, the whole fast-paced lifestyle, and the meeting people bit. By now I've become so used to it, so it doesn't stress me out. At least now I don't need to get up before the crack of dawn in time for an early morning show ... although I'm dying to get a vacation."

A sporty family
So where does she get that inexhaustible energy? How does she maintain her enviable figure that looks so good in her signature ensemble of spaghetti straps or tank top paired with a mini skirt and high heels?

It's nice to come from a clan that's into healthy living, she volunteers. "My family is health conscious and we're all into sports." Her father plays tennis, and her brother had been a basketball player.

"I also try to find time for sports, no matter how busy I am," she says. "Right now, in between shows, I box at Elorde Gym and recently started playing tennis again. I've been playing tennis since I was a kid."

And she has a regular fitness program to keep herself toned. "I work out with my personal trainer, Francis, at a gym near my home studio, GMA 7, in Quezon City. He pushes me, and would even text me sometimes to remind me about my workout. I do 30 minutes of cardio, and an hour of weights, at least two days a week."

But she's not that totally disciplined---yet---as she admits to some "bad" habits, such as "staying up late, watching TV, hanging out with friends," she fesses up.


Both feet on the ground
Her weekdays usually start at 8 a.m. "I just need a couple of espressos to get me going. I watch the Today Show, then do a mini fashion show of the outfits for the entire day's work," she shares.

While she waves off suggestions of stress or burnout from a grueling timetable, she does rue the loss of a large chunk of her personal time. "With my schedule, I can no longer attend events I get invited to---luncheons, cocktails and dinners. And my friends, who I like spending time with---watching movies, hanging out---complain about my time."

No comments: